Gerard Guy Medioni
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
- 1977, Bachelor's Degree, Engineering, Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Télécommunications
- Doctoral Degree, Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California
- Master's Degree, Computer Science, University of Southern California
Professor Gérard Medioni received the Diplôme d’Ingenieur from ENST, Paris in 1977, and a Ph.D. from USC in 1983. He is currently at Amazon, on leave from his position of Professor of CS at USC. He served as Chairman of the Computer Science Department from 2001 to 2007. He has published 4 books, many articles, and is the recipient of 18 patents.
Prof. Medioni is on the editorial board of several journals, and served as Chair of many conferences (CVPR, ICCV, WACV, ICPR).
He is a Fellow of IAPR, a Fellow of the IEEE, and a Fellow of AAAI.
My research interests span a broad spectrum of the Image Understanding field. The issues of representation and matching lie at the core of it, leading to the following questions:
How can we infer descriptions of objects (world-centered) from images (viewer-centered)? How can we "recognize" objects we have never seen before?
In addition, I am interested in the design and implementation of very reliable vision systems to accomplish difficult tasks, using imperfect modules.
I am also interested in establishing bridges between Computer Vision and Computer Graphics.
- 2007 Machine Vision and Applications Most influential Paper of the Decade
- 2004 IEEE Best Paper
- 2004 American Association for Artificial Intelligence Fellow of Professional Society
- 2003 IAPR Fellow of IAPR Professional Society
- 2003 IEEE Fellow of IEEE Professional Society
- 2002 Proceedings of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition Best Student paper award
- 1998 Okawa Foundation Research Award
- 1995 USC School of Engineering Teaching Award
- 1986 IEEE Computer Society Outstanding Paper (honorable mention) Award
- Thomas Lord Department of Computer Science
- PHE 204
- Charles Lee Powell Hall
- 3737 Watt Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089
- USC Mail Code: 273
- (213) 740-6440