Directed Research - Sign Up Instructions
- Only full-time faculty can supervise Directed Research. This includes full-time tenured/tenure-track, research, and teaching faculty.
- You must personally contact the full-time Computer Science faculty member with whom you wish to do directed research. Use the CS Faculty Directory and Research Areas & Labs listings to find full-time faculty members whose research matches your interests.
- After gaining permission from a full-time Computer Science faculty member, you will need to fill out the online application at: http://myviterbi.usc.edu under "Directed Research" to request clearance to enroll in the course.
B.S. Students: Choose CSCI 490 only.
M.S. Students: Choose CSCI 590 only.
Ph.D. Students: Choose CSCI 790 only.
The number of units for Directed Research is determined between you and your chosen instructor.
- Once you complete the application, your selected research supervisor will receive an automated email and they must approve your project via the online application system.
- Do not fill out the online application until you have received permission to do so from a full-time Computer Science faculty member.
- After the full-time faculty member approves your application, the department will approve the project and issue d-clearance within one week.
Directed Research FAQ
Published on June 14th, 2016
Last updated on December 1st, 2022