Fall 2018 Mandatory Advisement
It’s that time again – are you ready to pick your classes for Fall 2018? Now’s the time to start thinking about what you’re going to take. The Fall 2018 schedule of classes is live now (but we are still working on finalizing the CSCI courses; all CSCI courses currently have d-clearance, but it will be removed before registration starts.)
For Fall 2018 mandatory advisement, you have two options:
1) Electronic Advisement or
2) In-Person Advisement Meeting
You will need to initiate this process at least one week before your web registration appointment if you want to register on time!
- All Spring Sophomores (Entered USC in Spring 2017) will be required to come in for an in-person meeting.
- Students with overall GPAs below 2.500 will be required to come in for an in-person meeting.
- Students who were Pre-Engineering and recently transferred into the major and we haven’t met yet – you should schedule an appointment.
- Transfer students – if this is your first semester at USC – you should schedule an appointment.
- Students planning to study abroad this fall should enroll in USC courses, then switch your enrollment to Overseas once you receive final approval.
- For those of you who entered USC in Fall 2015 or Fall 2016, you will receive your 3rd or 5th semester course plan. The course plan will also resolve your mandatory advisement (unless your GPA is below 2.500). So, if you’ve already received your plan, you can disregard mandatory advisement unless you would like to discuss the course plan or have any other questions.
Option 1: Electronic Advising
Designed to be convenient and efficient with the busy student in mind, electronic advising requires you to initiate the process by completing an online form at: https://uscviterbi.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ba5iu6p4rDEhXZr
Please submit your request at least one week before your Web Registration appointment time.
We will review your submission and reply to you within 7 days after spring break. If everything looks good, we will clear your advisement hold and notify you in the reply. Any questions can be discussed in conversation over email.
Option 2: In-Person Appointment-based Advisement
March 19th through April 13th will be dedicated to in person registration advisement. Because of the number of students who need to be advised, these meetings are designed primarily for us to a) get you ready for Fall 2018 registration and b) get acquainted if we haven’t met yet. These are quick meetings (usually about 10-15 minutes). We will not have time for long-term planning or PDP applications, so please save that for a later appointment.
- Check your registration appointment time on OASIS.
- Schedule your advisement appointment online via my.usc.edu (click on undergraduate advisement) as soon as possible. Slots fill up fast!
- Review your STARS report and the schedule of classes, and come up with a list of courses you want to take in Fall 2018.
- Arrive on time for your appointment. These appointment times are really quick and scheduled back to back. If you arrive late, you may be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- Bring a list of questions you have.
In-Person Advisement Appointment Schedule
Seniors (96+ units already earned)
Appointments are available starting Monday, 3/19
Juniors (64-95 units already earned)
Appointments are available starting Monday, 3/26
Sophomores (32-63 units already earned)
Appointments are available starting Monday, 4/2
During these advisement sessions I will not be answering email or phone calls, so please expect a longer turn around on my response time.
- Approved Technical Electives are listed online at: https://www.cs.usc.edu/students/bs-students/technical-electives/
This page will be updated regularly as new courses are approved.
- Effective Fall 2018, EE 364 Introduction to Probability and Statistics will become a 4 unit course.
- A new technical elective, CSCI 467 Introduction to Machine Learning has been proposed and should be approved in time for Fall 2018. This course will require CSCI 270, MATH 225, and (EE 364 or MATH 407) as prerequisites. CSCI 360 is recommended preparation.
- Currently, all CSCI courses have d-clearance due to some pending schedule changes. Once registration opens, d-clearance will be removed. We will add d-clearance back only if all sections of a course fill-up and we will create a waitlist via the myviterbi.usc.edu D-Clearance Request system.